Friday, October 30, 2015

Belly Ho!

Sharing another thought:

Few days back a friend of mine asked me if I take beer. I said I don't... I could see his eyes almost popping out with surprise followed by the expected remark  'are you kidding ???'. Now I too was curious to know why he asked me that question, I had nothing against beer or any other drinks, but I just prefer not to drink, though I do enjoy taking wine once in a while.
Coming back to the point.. .the reason he asked me was because I had what he calls a  'beer belly', which I too agree [though I hate to]. But then does every 'beer belly' imply that the person is addicted to beer?
I am not trying to project my drinking habits here, nor am I trying to accuse the poor guy of his wrong conclusion. The point I am coming to is what I call 'pre-assumption', not sure if such a terminology actually exists in English literature. I have seen and to be very frank, I too have made this mistake of judging people by the way they look or the way they project themselves. A well dressed and clean looking person is most often 'Judged' as a good guy/lady and a freaky looking is mostly categorized as an outlaw. The degree of judgement between a gentleman and a outlaw varies on how crazy he or she looks.
Another funny attribute that plays a major role is how much you talk, you talk too much and you are labelled as a silly character. You remain silent and you get the name of either a genius  [if you are lucky enough] or a character which belong to the 'last generation'.
Why I am mentioning all these is because I feel that the real reason for most of the disappointment that happens in life is because of the wrong judgement [good or bad] we make based on the attributes that we see in a person. Sometimes it may prove just 100% wrong... it really pays to just take some time, dig in an inch deeper and understand the person properly before you decide to like or hate him.
I have decided to reduce my belly a bit, not because of the  'beer guy' image I accomplished, but because I prefer not to spend money on a new pair of trousers to push my belly in :) 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Sharath! Good observation too many people around us are judgmental based on a few minutes of interaction... Not sure why all want to jump to conclusions without actually knowing a person.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe this ... He was my class mate turned blogger!!!

    ReplyDelete